Application Deadline:16.00 (GMT) on 13 April 2020.
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships are fully funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
Information About the Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships for International Developing Nations’ Students
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships are offered for citizens of certain developing Commonwealth countries.
Purpose of the Scholarships
To contribute to development needs of Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals in key development areas.
High-quality postgraduate students who wish to access training not available in their home countries, who wish or need to remain in their home country while they study, and who have the potential to enhance the development of their home countries with the knowledge and leadership skills they acquire.
Development Focus Areas of Impact
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those unable to study in the UK for financial and other reasons. These scholarships are offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Read also; fully funded Australia awards scholarships
To be eligible for a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship, candidates should;
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country
- Hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard. A lower qualification and sufficient relevant experience may be considered in certain cases.
- Be unable to afford to study the program without this scholarship.
- The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available to candidates with a disability, see the CSC disability support statement.
- The Gambia
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
Selection Criteria Include;
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Potential impact of the work on the development of the candidate’s home country
Mode of Application
You must apply to study an eligible Master’s course at a UK university that is participating in the Distance Learning scheme. See list of participating universities and eligible courses on the official website below.
You must also secure admission to your course in addition to applying for a Distance Learning Scholarship. You must check with your chosen university for their specific advice on when to apply, admission requirements, and rules for applying.
You must make your application using the CSC’s online application system, in addition to any other application that you are required to complete by your chosen university.
The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system.
You can apply for more than one course and/or to more than one university, but you may only accept one offer of a Distance Learning Scholarship.
All applications must be submitted by 16.00 (GMT) on 13 April 2020 at the latest.
Your application must include the following supporting documentation by 16:00 (GMT) on 04 May 2020 in order for your application to be eligible for consideration;
- At least one reference– submitted directly by the referee to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request)
- An offer letter to start their chosen course of study in the 2020-2021 academic year – uploaded to the online application system
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system
For More Information, visit the Official Webpage of the Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships 2020/2021.