Are you a fan of studying both online and oncampus? This can be regarded as distance learning; Commonwealth offers distance learning Scholarships that are fully funded.
This is made available by UK Department for International Development (DFID), their mission is to foster development in undeveloped or developing countries in Africa and other continents, maintain trade ties and support excellence in their universities.
The scholarship program is awarded to deserving scholars from developing nations like I said earlier. Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships are fully funded and take care of flight expenses when there is need for the students to visit campus during their distance learning studies.
Purpose of the Distance Learning Scholarships
The main aim is to equip their scholars to become agents of development in their countries. They train them to acquire the necessary skills required for this purpose.
Distance Learning Scholarships – Targeted Beneficiaries
Mainly first class or higher second class students that want to gain skills and knowledge to help with national development. This training is likely out of reach in their country of origin, that is why Commonwealth deemed it fit to help many societies progress. It is compulsory to go back yo your country and apply the leadership skills acquired to foster development.
Distance Learning Scholarships – Development Focus Areas of Impact
The scholarship body helps talented and motivated students to gain the knowledge and skills needed for sustainable development, it is grouped into 6 different categories;
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Eligibility Criteria for Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
Before they consider you for their scholarship, you have to fulfill the criteria listed;
- You have to be from a Commonwealth country
- Be a permanent resident in a developing Commonwealth nation
- You must have first class or second class upper; or if you have a lower result, you will need relevant professional experience
- You have to be brilliant and unable to afford to study in an international school without the scholarship
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships – Eligible Nations
- The Gambia
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship – Selection Criteria Include;
- Good academic result, leadership impact while in school, publications
- you need to let them know in your scholarship essay how you intend to foster development, after your training and why your chosen course is a necessary tool
Commonwealth Distance Learning Course Application
First and fore most, you have to apply to a UK university and get provision a admission.
Check with your school of choice for specific course requirements, when to apply for admission and act accordingly.
Apply using Commonwealth Scholarship application online system, you have to finish that of the school first before you apply to CSC.
Commonwealth only accepts online application for their scholarship, no other way around it.
It is permitted to apply for more than one program in one university or different universities but you can only accept an offer.
Every application should be submitted by 16.00 (GMT) on 13 April 2021 latest.
You need the following supporting documents to apply for Commonwealth distance learning scholarship program
- You need 2 references from your professors or doctors and one from your employer if you are working; they will be sent mails which they have to respond to
- A temporary admission letter from your UK university to upload to the online application system
- Transcript of former studies in English or with a translator if in another language
If you want to apply, please visit the Official Webpage of the Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships.
- Cheap Universities in Texas with Scholarships and Tuition Fees - January 20, 2023
- Is it Free to Study in Spain as an International Student? - January 20, 2023
- Where to Study Abroad in France in English - January 20, 2023