I compiled the list of cheap universities in Malaysia for international students with other relevant information like, cost of living, admission requirements, tuition fees etc. Choose to study abroad in Malaysia, it won’t be a bad idea.
Malaysia is located in Southeast of Asia, close to island of Borneo and situated in some part of Malay peninsula.
The country’s capital is Kuala Lumpur; the country uses an official currency called Malaysian ringgit. Tourist know Malaysia for its beautiful beaches, rainforests and it mixed cultural values contributed by different nations of Asia.
Malaysia is becoming very popular for students who wish to study abroad. It is popular because of the immense benefits of studying in the country. Find out why you need to study abroad in Malaysia as an international student.
Why Study Abroad in Malaysia as an International Student
- Their educational standard is high compared to before
- Universities in Malaysia now charge cheap tuition fees
- Many programs are now offered in English to attract foreign students
- you can easily get a UK, USA or Canada degree at a cheaper rate by studying at the universities’ satellite campuses in Malaysia
- quality of life is enticing
- cost of living is very affordable
- immigration is made very easy
- it is very safe unlike countries like Iraq or Korea
- it is multilingual and multiethnic making it easy to interact with those that can understand the language you speak
Study Abroad at Cheap Universities in Malaysia – Student Visa
Foreign students no matter where you come from needs a study visa to study abroad in Malaysia. I have an article on study visa requirements for studying abroad, read it and find out what you need to get ready ahead of time.
Visa fees and proof of sufficient funds or sponsorship are a must. Your school may help guide you on processing your visa, but it is your duty to get the necessary documents ready.
There is a document called personal bond; your school will provide that when you pay between 69 to 350 US dollars for it depending on your school of choice.
Before you apply for a student visa to study in Malaysia, you must first apply and get approval for a student pass and acceptance letter from your university of choice. After that, you apply for the visa at your country’s embassy.
Confirm if there are other required documents from the Malaysian embassy in your country.
Cheap Universities in Malaysia for International Students – Tuition Fees
What is charged as tuition fees in public universities cannot be compared to that of private schools. Approximately, you can expect to on average, a tuition fee of 4,000 US dollars per year. The most highly ranked school in Malaysia; university of Malaysia which is a public institution charges an average tuition fee of 1,700 US dollars annually from foreign undergraduate students. Postgraduate programs maybe a little bit higher than this.
Note; This is an average comprising of all programs offered, find out specific course tuition from your school’s website.
Study Abroad in Malaysia – Cost of Living
Trust me when I say it is quite affordable to live in Malaysia and study than some place like Australia or Canada. Most of the universities in these elite countries have satellite campuses located in different cities in Malaysia. The standard of education is still the same, so no need of stressing yourself too much when you can easily get the chance to study abroad in Malaysia at your dream university.
Cost of living in Malaysia amounts to either 375 US dollars for the more affordable places or 467 US dollars for the less affordable cities. This is a monthly estimate covering accommodation, feeding, books, transportation, utility bills, clothing, health care etc.
Is it Allowed for International Students to Work While Studying in Malaysia?
There are places you can study and work at the Sam time; you can work while studying in New Zealand or Canada. As for Malaysia, it is not allowed during school time. You are only allowed to work when your school is on break, and not more than 20 hours in a week.
Study Abroad at a Cheaper Rate in Malaysian Universities – Scholarships and Grants for International Students
Many diplomats and organisations offer scholarships or grants for foreign students hoping to study in Malaysia. This is the most popular way to find funding support to study abroad in Malaysia. Take advantage of this opportunity, you may be lucky to be awarded scholarship for your schooling in Malaysia.
An example of government funding to support both domestic and foreign nationals to study in Malaysia is the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan. You can browse on that later.
Best Way to Apply to Study in Malaysia
You will have to download, fill and submit application form with required documents to your school of choice. The school will let you know the means of submission. If you are given admission, the school will then apply for a student pass for you at immigration department of Malaysia. When it is approved, the embassy will service your school a letter of approval which they will send to you in your home country. You will pick it up at the embassy.
You will then use the letter to grave to Malaysia; be for you grave, make sure you inform the school about your departure and arrival times. This will help them plan on picking you up and awarding you your study visa at point of entry into the country.
List of Cheap Tuition Universities in Malaysia for International Students
- International Islamic University Malaysia
- National University of Malaysia
- University of Malaysia Kelantan
- University of Malaysia Pahang
- University of Malaysia Perlis
- University of Malaysia Sabah
- University of Malaysia Sarawak
- University of Malaysia, Terengganu
- Sultan Idris Education University
- National Defence University of Malaysia
- Putra University, Malaysia
- Islamic Science University of Malaysia
- University of Science, Malaysia
- Sultan Zainal Abidin University
- Technical University of Malaysia Malacca
- University of Technology, Malaysia
- MARA University of Technology
- Tun Hussein Onn University of Malaysia
- Northern University of Malaysia
- University of Malaysia
- How to Study Abroad in Switzerland, Universities and Tuition Fees - September 22, 2022
- Studying Abroad in Malaysian Universities isn’t a Bad Idea, Let this Guide You! - September 22, 2022
- 10 Plus Best Paying Jobs in Electric Utilities Central - September 20, 2022