This is good news as international students can have access to free health insurance policies. You can be rest assured that they offer lots of programs in English language to attract international students. The other approved language of instruction is German.
According to Wikipedia, we have about 67 higher education institutions in Hungary. These schools are owned by either the government known as public, churches, private firms or individuals. But despite these discrepancies, they still maintain same quality of education as public schools and are regulated by federal education board.
You can obtain a bachelor degree in the space of 3 years, and their masters programs last for 2 years. Some fields can take up to 5, 6 years to complete and get your first degree, whatever the case may be, choose what you can study. You may even need help with sponsorship if your course is a bit long to complete and you can’t afford the cost of living, this is where you have to source for scholarship or grant.
Vocational studies are. also available depending on what you want. You can even register for a pathway program if you do not meet your course admission requirement(s).
More about studying Abroad in Hungary at tuition free universities
Cost of living for international students in Hungary
The Living Cost in Hungary is as affordable as those of certain cities in Germany. It is estimated to be about 500 to 600 Euros per month with regards to your spending habit. You can even spend more if you have high taste. It will surely cover your rent, food, transport, books and even clothes.
Admission requirements in Hungary
Your language proficiency is of paramount importance, try to proof it or enroll in a language school as soon as possible.
Other general requirements include a statement of purpose staying why you are motivated to study your course and what you hope to achieve with it after, 2 recommendation letters, passport photograph, Id card or international passport, application fee if needed etc. Please check with your school yo confirm specific course requirements.
How to Apply for admission to study for free in Hungary
To me once you get all required documents and other things intact, you are ready to apply. You can still read about preparations to make before you apply for admission to any school abroad. You will need your high school certificate for an undergraduate program and even your transcript, Sam goes for postgraduate programs.
All applications are done mainly online. You need to be alert in order not to miss Hungary’s study intake periods. Check with your school to know theirs.
What to Expect as an International Student in Hungary
Ofcourse, first and foremost you know you will not be paying any tuition fee if you are studying in a public school in Hungary.
Students’ geographical studies for Hungary has proven that majority of their students are mainly from EU countries like Germany, Norway, Sweden, Israel etc while the remaining part are a mix up of students from neighbouring countries and Africa. Not that you cannot find american students there but on rare occasions.
The number of international students are increasing because of the following reasons;
- If you are a student in Hungary, you can travel to another EU country using their Schengen visa, you won’t need to apply for another visa at all
- Cost of living is very affordable compared to countries like USA, Canada or UK
- Obtaining admission is very easy due to moderate admission requirements
- European union present many employment opportunities to both students and graduates
- It is also very easy to obtain visa
- Research works are encouraged in their universities therefore attracting Masters and PhD students
- Cheap flights to neighboring countries exist
- Many programs are offered in English language, this favours international students
History of Higher Education in Hungary
Higher education in Hungary started in 1367 through the first Hungarian university established in the city of Pecs by Louis the great.
It can be classified into colleges, and universities; these are the 2 major divisions that defines the nature of higher education in Hungary. They offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses, vocational courses which last for 2 years; their PhDs last for 3 years. This information is vital especially for international students who sis to study in Hungary, so as to enable them make a choice of what they will go for and how long they will stay.
Prior to the award of your degree, you have to pass an intermediary level examination on the your language of instruction. It can be English language, German, Spanish or Espanol. But, definitely, English and German are the most popular languages in the country.
List of Public Universities in Hungary that are Tuition Free for Both International and National Students
- Attila Jozsef University
- Avicenna International College
- Budapest University of Economic Sciences
- Central European University
- Debrecen University of Agricultural Sciences
- Hungarian Academy of Craft and Design Kossuth
- Lajos University
- Mathematical Institute of Hungarian
- Academy of Sciences University
- Medical School of Debrecen
- University of Pecs
- University of West Hungary
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Medical University
- Attila Jozsef University
- Bessenyei Gyorgy Teachers Training College
- Eotvos Lorand University of Sciences
- Gvdvllu University of Agricultural Sciences
- Janus Pannonius University of Sciences
- Juhasz Gyula Teacher Training College
- Lajos Kossuth University of Arts and Sciences
- Semmelweis University of Medical Sciences
- Szeged University
- Technical University of Budapest
- Hungary University of Miskolc