This is a review of the cheapest universities in Bulgaria for international students; find out tuition fees, cost of living in Bulgaria, intake periods, admission requirements and how to apply for admission.
About the Country
Bulgaria is a very affordable study abroad nation in Europe, it is located near the Black sea. It also uses Euros as a currency since it is a member of the European Union.
Foreign students have the free will to choose a language of study; either Bulgarian or English. Your tuition fee depends on course and language of study.
There are many study abroad scholarships available for international students. Just follow instructions and apply early if you qualify for it. If you study in Bulgarian language, you can qualify for a tuition fee waiver or a student loan.
Bulgaria University Fees for International Students
Bulgaria offers low tuition fees for foreign nationals trying to study in their country. This tuition is not that cheap if compared to tuition in Germany, Poland, etc but it is still very affordable to some students. What is cheap to me can be expensive to you, so if you do not find Bulgaria affordable, try those countries above.
Tuition fee can be between 3,000 to 8,500 euros per year for international students. If you have any reason to do any foundation course before you are allowed to start your main program, then also budget 2,500 to 2,700 euros per year for the course. These are estimates and subject to change, find out specific course fee from your school of choice.
Medical programs attract higher tuition especially in private colleges of medicine, but it won’t be too far above the estimates.
EU/EEA students are eligible to apply for a student loan to cover tuition fee not living expenses. Just get to familiarize with the terms of the loan before applying to avoid issues. You can also apply for scholarships.
Study Cheap in Bulgaria – Intake Periods for All Students
Students who are serious about securing a spot in any school in Bulgaria to study in English should apply for admission latest ending of September. I urge you to apply earlier than that. Deadline for Bulgarian-taught programs is 15 September.
Cheapest Universities in Bulgaria for International Students – Cost of Living
Living cost in Bulgaria is very cheap; my estimate covers whatever any any student can think of spending money but always draw up a budget in order to be guided. Accommodation, bus or taxi fare, electric bill, water bill, airtime, food etc. Your budget should be around US$530 every month.
Admission Requirements and How to Apply to Study at Affordable Schools in Bulgaria
Direct application to any of the schools below is highly welcomed. Just be sure you are eligible for admission into any school in the first place, if not, you might not stand a chance of being offered an opportunity to study in Bulgaria.
If you do not have study language proficiency certificate, you will likely be tested before being given admission; if you fail the examination, then you will be left with an option to enroll in the school’s one year pathway program.
List of Cheap Universities and Colleges in Bulgaria for International Students
- Academy of the Ministry of Interior – Sofia
- Agricultural University – Plovdiv
- American University in Bulgaria
- Bulgarian Virtual University
- Burgas Free University
- University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy
- University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy
- University of Economics Varna
- University of Food Technology
- University of Forestry
- University of Mining and Geology
- University of National and World Economy
- University of Shumen “Episkop Konstantin Preslavski”
- University “Prof. Asen Zlatarov” – Burgas
- Varna Free University
- Veliko Tarnovo University
- D. A. Tsenov Academy of Economics – Svishtov
- European Polytechnical University
- Higher School of Insurance and Finance
- “Lyuben Karavelov” Civil Engineering University
- Medical University – Pleven
- Medical University – Plovdiv
- Medical University – Varna
- National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts
- National Academy of Arts
- National Military University
- National Sports Academy
- New Bulgarian University
- “Nikola Vaptsarov” Naval Academy
- “Pantcho Vladigerov” National Academy of Music
- Plovdiv University
- Rakovski Defence and Staff College
- Ruse University
- Sofia Medical University
- Sofia University
- South-West University “Neofit Rilski”
- Specialized Higher School of Librarian Knowledge and
- Information Technology – Sofia
- Technical University of Gabrovo
- Technical University of Sofia
- Technical University of Sofia – Branch Plovdiv
- Technical University of Varna
- “Todor Kableshkov” Higher School of Transport
- Trakia University – Stara Zagora